Many people have had different views on whether or not Doc Martens are shoes that are worth investing in. Those who are in the older generation argue that they look a little bit too much like workwear boots. My friends mom refers to them as her Frankenstein boots, while I have heard others comment on how they look like they are meant for gardening.
However, Doc Martens, or “Docs” for short, seem to be popping in the fashion world at the moment. I have found them to be quite trendy myself and am currently on my way to purchasing my 5th pair. I find that they go with a lot of things and work well with many of the things that I like to wear.
Are they worth the price? That is for you to decide. Some argue that they are far too overpriced, while others think that they are worth it considering the quality and how long they tend to last. I will let you, the reader be the judge of this. I enjoy my docs and wear them quite often. I feel that they were worth my money. My other few pairs that I have found with time have all been thrifted, but I did buy nice black leather ones. As I have mentioned before, soft leather is much nicer on your feet and does not leave behind blisters.
So….. do you think docs are worth it?
In addition to reviewing things that I find trendy, I will be talking about some of my own outfits and where I got them. This post will be the first in the series. Today I will be reviewing something that I wore to class.
For this outfit, I stayed relatively simple while adding in a highlight piece. For starters I wore my classic thrifted dark blue boyfriend jeans. I found these while thrifting in Sacramento with friends. They were only five dollars. They are pretty lose fit, which is an essential to my wardrobe. I paired these with my normal black hoop belt. This belt is another staple in my wardrobe, I bought it a little over a year ago at the State Fair by my house. These belts are pretty accessible now because they are trendy in the teenage fashion world. I have even seen them being sold at Walmart now for a relatively cheap price.
My mom gave me this cute leopard cheetah tank, so I am not exactly sure where it is from, but I know that leopard pieces are extremely in right now and can easily be found at places like Forever 21 or, if you’re looking for higher quality, Urban Outfitters. Another good place for cheetah print items would be somewhere like Brandy Melville.
Doc Martens are easily a staple item for me in many of my outfits. For this outfit I chose my normal fit black leather ones. I really recommend spending the extra few bucks to get the soft leather docs, I have never gotten blisters from wearing them and they are still in really good condition.
Finally, nothing is complete without a little bit of jewelry. I really like to buy charms at small stores and then put them on chains myself.
Sneakers have always been a staple item in my wardrobe even when I was young. I remember always wanting a pair of converse around the age of eight. When I finally got my first pair of high tops I would always draw them so I could remember how good they looked on. As I entered my teen years I grew even more interested in the fashion world and especially in sneakers. I’m no hypebeast, but there are a few moderately priced brands that I do enjoy.
Overtime I have developed a list of a few of my favorite brands for sneakers and I will now share them with you. Here it is:
- ReeboksTo me, Reeboks are an easy go to. They are not as popular in the sneaker head world, but when I was in high school they were my go too shoe for any outfit. I honestly always felt like I was walking on pillows every time I had them on. I honestly think they have a really sleek look to them and look good when put together with big pants and and a big oversized shirt. I’ve seen a lot of band members in more alternative bands pull of reeboks and honestly I can see why. They are one of my favorite shoes and definitely deserve the number one spot as I’ve been wearing them for a long time.
- ConverseOf course Converse would have to be second because they are the sneaker brand that I have been familiar with the longest. I have loved Converse since I was little and have always thought they have such a sleek look to them. I invested in a pair of Tyler the Creator and Converse golf le flour high top converse, and I honestly love them so much. I was luckily able to find the pair that I wanted in a thrift store in San Francisco. Converse are honestly so easy to pair with anything, especially high tops. I would say the only downside is if you have wider feet they may be a little bit uncomfortable for you.
- NikeNike seems to be a fan favorite for many people right now. Pretty much everyone at my college owns a pair of white Air Force ones and I am guilty of buying a pair myself. They also have a pillow like to feel to them. They are a bulkier shoe, and I see many girls pairing them with skinny jeans. I see a lot of guys pairing them with either jeans or skater type pants. I honestly think they are very in and whats nice is that you can customize them to fit your liking, which makes it easy.
- VansVans are the skater shoes. They are very easily customizable and don’t have one set style that you have to follow. This is a little different than converse because while all converse are mostly meant for people with skinnier feet, vans have many different fits so they work for people that have wider feet too. I wore more vans when I was younger but I still see that they are easily a go too for many people. A favorite pair for many people is just an easy pair of slip on vans. A downside is they get worn out pretty quickly.
- AdidasI am not a big wearer of Adidas but they made the list because they are my boyfriends favorite pair of shoes. Not only that, but they have an extremely long wear time if you take care of them. He has had the same pair for way over a year, and they are comfortable still and are also still in extremely good condition. I feel like they were really popular in 2016 and now have kind of just chilled out in the fashion world, but I still think there are a lot of people that really know how to pull them off.